These Grain Free Mint Chocolate Cookies are Nut Free, and Gluten Free. They are made with paleo-friendly tapioca flour, and coconut flour. They have a wonderful crispy outside and a chewy middle.
These Grain Free Mint Chocolate Cookies are a version of my Grain Free Double Chocolate Cookies. Same recipe, just mintier!
I don’t do a lot of Paleo baking. First of all paleo-baking is really an oxymoron. Cookies are not paleo, and neither is bread, I don’t care what they’re made of. That said, I know that I would never stick to a lifestyle that did not allow for occasional treats. Knowing that sometimes I’m going to have dessert, I figure that making them with paleo-friendly ingredients is a much better option that grabbing a bag or Oreos.
I’m allergic to nuts, which makes my grain-free flour choices really limiting. I’ve tried a number of coconut flour based recipes and have found the cookies to be more like cake than like cookies. So, I set out to make a crispy, grain free and nut free cookie. It was not an easy feat!
After several attempts, I finally got the right mix of ingredients. Because of all the chocolate in these cookies, they spread when you bake them like wheat cookies do. Be sure to leave at least two inches between them on the baking sheet, or they’ll run together.
I used my handy-dandy cookie scoop, which makes little balls that contain one Tbs of dough. I did not bake more than 6 cookies to a sheet, because I wanted to be sure that they had plenty of room to spread.
For the chocolate chunks…
I chopped a 3 oz, Mint Dark Chocolate bar by Theo .
There are lots of dark mint chocolate bars out there, but Theo is my favorite. It’s delicious and it has a really clean ingredient list.
A note about coconut flour, its absorbency can really vary from brand to brand. I used Trader Joes Organic Coconut flour. If you are using a different brand, start with 2/3 of what is called for, let it rest a few minutes, and then check your consistency before adding the full amount. You should have sticky dough, not batter, and it should be scoopable.
This recipe makes 21 three-inch-wide cookies.
These cookies are wonderful frozen! Make ice cream sandwiches with my Homemade Mint Ice Cream!
As an alternate version, try my Grain Free Double Chocolate Cookies!
I use this recipe to make an awesome Grain Free Crumb Pie Crust! Its great for ice cream pie!
- ½ cup grass fed, pasture raised butter, (or palm shortening)
- ¾ cup coconut/palm sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs raw honey (melt if it is in a solid, crystalized state)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp fine grain sea salt
- 3 Tbs coconut flour sifted
- ¾ cup dark mint chocolate chunks (I chopped one 3 oz Theo Bar)
- I recommend using organic ingredients when possible.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Cream together the butter and coconut/palm sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Add the egg, honey, and vanilla extract, mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the: tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Slowly add it to the wet ingredients, mixing on a low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Next sift in coconut flour and mix on low, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Turn up the speed to medium and mix for 30 seconds.
- Mix in the dark mint chocolate chunks.
- Let your dough rest for at least two minutes.
- Scoop 1 Tbs of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave room for the cookies to spread, they will be approximately 3” wide.
- Bake for 11 minutes in a 325 degree oven.