Looking for something new to bring to your next summer BBQ? Try this refreshing Watermelon Strawberry and Tomato Salad, with Basil and Blue Cheese. It’s a showstopper, and so EASY!
You may be thinking to yourself, ‘Caroline has jumped the shark on this one.’ But trust me, you have to try this, it is sooo fantastic!
I already knew that watermelon, basil, and blue cheese are delicious together from my Grilled Watermelon and Shrimp Salad recipe.
I also knew that basil is great with both tomatoes and strawberries; so I decided to put them all together. WOW! I’m so glad I did, because this is a gorgeous combination. Sweet, salty, bright, and savory… all come together in a refreshing, summer, flavor partaaaaaay!
Oh, and my kids love this too!
Because I was not serving a big crowd, I didn’t buy a whole watermelon. Instead, I picked up a small container of pre-cut, organic watermelon. Easy peasy!
If you are dairy-free, you can just omit the blue cheese, it is not critical.
This recipe and be made up to a day in advance, and is a great side dish for a potluck picnic or BBQ. You might want to double, or even triple the recipe for a picnic, since this only serves 8.
- 3 cups watermelon, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups of strawberries, halved or quartered into bite size pieces
- 2 & ½ cups halved, multi-colored, cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup julienned fresh basil
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- fine grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the Balsamic Vinaigrette (add to taste)
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, layer in order: the watermelon, strawberries, tomatoes and basil.
- If making in advance, cover and refrigerate up to one day ahead.
- For the Balsamic Vinaigrette, whisk together the balsamic, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and olive oil. Reserve in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, stir (or shake) the balsamic vinaigrette and add to taste. Then season the salad with salt and pepper, and toss well. Add crumbled blue cheese, and lightly toss once more.
- Serve and enjoy!