I love pasta but now that I’m eating (mostly) grain free, I make zucchini noodles a.k.a. Zoodles for my pasta dishes. Zoodles are tasty, nutritious, low cal and low carb. This Zoodles with Shrimp in Pink Sauce recipe features shrimp and scallops in a pink tomato cream sauce.
Zoodles are best when the sauce is the star of the dish, rather than when the pasta is the star. For example, I would not make Zoodles aglio e olio.
To make Zoodles you will need a spiral vegetable slicer. It has three cutting blade sizes.
I use the small blade attachment for to make spaghetti sized zoodles for this recipe and for my Grain Free Meatballs:
I use the larger attachment linguini sized vegetable noodles like my Butterut Squash Noodles:
I use the wide attachment to make wide, egg noodle sized zoodles, for recipes like my Paleo Beef Stroganoff:
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs pastured butter (I like Kerry Gold)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
- 1 lb small scallops
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 1 32 OZ jar Rao’s Marinara Sauce (or your favorite marinara)
- ½ cup basil chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 large zucchini (or one large per person)
- grated parmesan to taste (optional)
- For the Sauce:
- Rinse shrimp and scallops. Pat them dry with a paper towel, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat large sauté pan or deep frying pan to high. When pan is hot, add 1 Tbs olive oil and 1 Tbs butter. Briefly sauté the shrimp until they are just beginning to look opaque (less than a minute), remove to a separate dish. The shrimp will continue to cook off of the heat.
- Briefly sauté the scallops until they are just beginning to look opaque (less than a minute), remove to dish with shrimp. The scallops will continue to cook off of the heat.
- Turn burner off and let pan cool for a few minutes. Turn burner to low add remaining 1 Tbs of olive oil and sauté the garlic, being careful to not burn it. When garlic is just beginning to brown and turn fragrant, add the wine and deglaze the pan. Let wine reduce for two minutes.
- Add Marinara Sauce and basil to the pan and stir. Raise burner to medium-low and allow the sauce to simmer for five minutes to bring flavors together, stirring often.
- Add heavy cream and stir to incorporate.
- Add shrimp and scallops with juices to the pan and stir. Take pan off the heat so as to not over-cook the shellfish.
- For the Zoodles:
- Make zoodles, (zucchini noodles) with a spiral vegetable slicer. Use one large zucchini (or two small), per person.
- Place zoodles in a microwavable bowl, and salt to taste. (The salt helps remove the water from the zoodles, but don’t over-salt them!)
- Cover the bowl with a plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir and microwave for 3 more minutes. Drain zoodles in a colander, and then wring them out in a clean dishtowel. Return zoodles to colander or to a serving dish.
- Serve the Shellfish with Pink Sauce over the Zoodles, and garnish with some grated parmesan cheese.
Disclaimer: Please note that there are some affiliate links on this page and I will earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. Your purchase helps support this site at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I actually use and like.